Due to state employee furloughs, call center and staff response time may be delayed. Thank you for your understanding.
Due to COVID-19, HCA’s lobby is closed. Learn more about your customer service options.

FAQs for school administrators

The following frequently asked questions (FAQs) help you understand the SEBB Program and how it affects your school district, educational service district, or charter school.

Questions about corona virus and eligibility during school closures? See Information about novel corona virus (COVID-19).

Dual enrollment is when a school employee is eligible to enroll in the SEBB Program and is also eligible as the spouse, state-registered domestic partner, or dependent of another eligible school employee. No one can be enrolled in more than one SEBB account. The single-enrollment policy helps maintain the affordability of the SEBB Program’s health plans.

You will have uninterrupted coverage when moving from one SEBB organization (school district, ESD, or charter school) to another within the same month or a consecutive month, if the following conditions are satisfied:

  • You were eligible for the employer contribution toward SEBB benefits in the position you are leaving; and
  • You are anticipated to be eligible for the employer contribution toward SEBB benefits in your new position.

If you move to a different county, your available plan options may change. See how to determine eligibility for more information.

Under Section 504(3) of ESSB 6032 (2018), the Legislature requires school employees to pay two premium surcharges, if they apply, in addition to their monthly medical plan premiums, starting January 1, 2020.

HCA contracts with providers who excel in treating certain medical conditions. The Centers of Excellence (COE) program offers low-to-no-cost knee replacement, hip replacement, and spine care to qualifying school employees enrolled in the SEBB Program's UMP Achieve 1, UMP Achieve 2, and UMP High Deductible.

No. Each of you will have your own account. No one can enroll on more than one account. However, one of you can waive medical coverage and enroll on the other's account. If you waive medical coverage, you must enroll in dental and vision coverage, as well as basic life, basic accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D), and basic long-term disability (LTD) insurance under your own account. You will not incur the spouse or state-registered domestic partner coverage surcharge for waiving. Eligible children can be enrolled on either account, but not both. See Waiving medical coverage.

That depends on several factors. The primary factor in determining eligibility is whether you are anticipated to meet the 630 hour threshold. Visit How to determine eligibility for more information.

Yes, the basic and supplemental life insurance plans have an accelerated benefits option. If a subscriber becomes terminally ill and is expected to die within 24 months, they can request to receive a portion of their life insurance benefit before their death. For more information, visit the Life insurance webpage.

No, the tobacco use premium surcharge is per account. If there is at least one person on the account age 13 or older enrolled in a medical plan who uses tobacco, you will be charged the surcharge. You will not be charged more for additional tobacco users. Find out more on the Tobacco use premium surcharge webpage. 

Spouses and state-registered domestic partners, children up to age 26, children with disabilities, and extended dependents are eligible for SEBB coverage if you enroll them and provide proper documents for verification. Learn more about dependent coverage.

No. The tobacco use and spouse or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharges do not apply if you waive medical coverage.